When we moved into our townhouse a year and a half ago, our kitchen looked like this:
After some scheming and drawing with my mom one October weekend, our kitchen transformed into this:
(**Full disclosure, this was not entirely a DIY project.) Seeing the empty L-shaped space in our kitchen we knew there was a ripe opportunity to make as much extra storage as possible for kitchen appliances and other kitchen accoutrements. I wanted pull-out shelf storage and a place to hide the dog crates and James wanted a "secret" drawer to hide whatnots at a moment's notice. Our whole schtick at the moment is modern, clean lines, multi-functional space, and warmth in the materials we use (whether in color or feeling). We drew up the plans and then sent many emails/requests for quotes in search of the right person for the job. There was quite a bit of drawing, measuring, re-drawing and re-measuring, but ultimately, we ended up with some "plans" that look like the jumbled mess below:
And here is a little snippet from an email I sent to many different cabinet makers to request quotes:
Eventually, we found a local guy, Phil Timm, who could make our dreams a reality. As we have mentioned before, it is crucial to do your due diligence on potential contractors who will be doing work for you. Phil came recommended by a friend and we were quite pleased with the quality of his work! After showing him some design inspiration photos of ours that featured rift sawn oak (one of the most expensive cuts of oak according to some folks), he suggested we use plywood that he would then veneer with rift sawn strips on the exposed sections in order to save on costs. It turned out beautifully! Click through below to see details of the finished product.
- Measure, measure, measure! Your contractor or "wood guy" can help you measure a fourth and fifth time too.
- When we were conceptualizing the space, we thought about how the new stuff we wanted to build would effect the lighting and the space. We decided to scrap the top section we had planned because we thought it would make the kitchen feel too heavy and busy.
- The veneering that Phil suggested was great, but it took him a LONG time to complete... it was a great suggestion, but do expect delays if going this route!
- This project took many months for us to contemplate and complete, but I am so glad we didn't rush it (like I was inclined to do). It was good to have time to live in the space and see how it felt before making major overhauls.
I know we said we would share with you our exact costs, but for this project, let's just say that we spent less than $5,000.